During the happy days of the cold war, in the game of spy v. spy, the CIA developed a list of rules for its agents posted in Moscow. These 10 rules actually provide a reasonable methodology for living your work life: attentive, flexible, slightly paranoid.
The Moscow Rules are:
- Assume nothing.
- Never go against your gut.
- Everyone is potentially under opposition control.
- Don’t look back; you are never completely alone.
- Go with the flow; blend in.
- Vary your pattern and stay within your cover.
- Lull them into a sense of complacency.
- Don’t harass the opposition.
- Pick the time and place for action.
- Keep your options open.